The crisp, cool air and falling leaves signifies the arrival of a new season, and our annual International Credit Union Day celebration. On the third Thursday in October, credit unions around the world celebrate and honour the employees, members, and organizations who are helping to make our communities strong.
Here at home, we’re marking the day with our own annual tradition – our Day of Difference. On October 18th, our branches will open with treats and gifts for our members. Then, at 2:00 pm, we’ll close our doors a little early and over 500 employees will fan out across 14 communities from Osoyoos to Clearwater to lend a helping hand to those community organizations who work tirelessly for the benefit of others. And, that’s not all.
$10,000 Local Give is Back!
After two years of record-breaking enthusiasm by our participants, the $10,000 Local Give is back! We’re offering $100 to 100 people to do great things in their communities. And as we’ve seen from the last two years, the possibilities are endless: surprise purchases, care packages, home cooked meals and donations to causes near and dear. We’ve even seen participants grow their $100 and their impact by recruiting friends, co-workers and family to get in on this wave of local good.
In order to allow more people the chance to be considered, we’re opening the registration page for the $10,000 Local Give on October 18 at 12:01 am and will close it at 11:59 pm. Applicants will be asked to share what they intend to do with the $100, who it will benefit and why they have chosen that particular beneficiary. The top 100 responses will be chosen by Interior Savings to receive $100 to complete their act of local good. Full rules and regulations can be found here.
We hope you’ll join us on October 18th, whether in our branches for treats and gifts, by registering to participate in our $10,000 Local Give, or perhaps we’ll bump into each other. Watch for our blue shirts while we’re out lending a hand in the community, and don’t be shy. We’d love to say hi!
Here are a few of the places you’ll find us volunteering on our Day of Difference:
- Ashcroft: Thompson Valley Manor Society
- Barriere: Bottle drive in support of Barriere Lions Club and the Anti-Violence Advocacy Society
- Chase: Chase Corn Farm in support of Chase Hamper Society
- Clearwater: Yellowhead Community Resources
- Kamloops: Kamloops Food Bank, Kamloops Wildlife Park, Kamloops SPCA, BMX Canada
- Kelowna: The Bridge Youth & Family Services, CMHA Willowbridge, Boys and Girls Clubs, Habitat for Humanity Restore, Arion Therapeutic Farm, Old Friends Horse Rescue, Share Society, Hands in Service, Westside United Church, Canadian Blood Services
- Lake Country: Boys and Girls Clubs
- Lillooet: Lillooet Curling Club
- Merritt: Baillie House, Community Clean-up
- Okanagan Falls: Helping Hands
- Oliver: Kiwanis Club
- Osoyoos: Desert Sun Counselling
- Vernon: Vernon SPCA
- West Kelowna: Boys and Girls Clubs